when we lived in baltimore and many of the significant people in my live were out playing various kinds of gigs, new music came to me. i had the same experience when i was the music director for the tiny radio station at my alma mater. here in bloomington, big acts don’t play, smaller acts come rarely, and the local DJs that i have heard make me want to slap their hands from the turntables, and give it a try myself.
so i’ve been trying to find some new things to listen to, but i find even that can be a pain in the ass here in the midwest. i like to listen before i buy, and i like to buy local, so if there’s no place for me to hear a track or album, or if it’s not carried anywhere…well you see where i’m going with this.
some things that i’ve been enjoying lately:
– TV on the Radio, Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes. The whole album is fantastic, however Staring at the Sun, kind of makes my eyes roll to the back of my head.
– PJ Harvey, Uh Huh Her. Pocket Knife is especially fabulous. There’s an interview with her in Bust mag, this fall.
– !!!, Louden Up Now. Especially, Pardon My Freedom & Me & Giuliani Down by the School Yard.
– the Grey Album. Still hot.
– Peaches, Fuck the Pain Away. I know it’s old, but it does make me want to pole dance and it’s funny in a dark and depressing kind of way.
– Bishop Allen, Little Black Ache. It want to buy into the preppy look currently being pushed for fall.
– Aesop Rock, Lucy. Again, I know – old. but i love the message of this song.