in my independent study w/Dr. Hara this semester I’ve been reading article after article from the journal Mobilization. uniformly they’ve all been interesting and well written. I may have to subscribe.
Pete points out our realization that
we decorate like college guys. it occurs to me that in gendered opinions, this is entirely my fault. any time i hear someone talk about a space needing a “woman’s touch” i involuntarily snicker…remind youself that i’m the one shopping for the tiki bar, and you’ll see what i mean.
speaking of, does anyone know where to find a nice, relatively simple and inexpensive indoor tiki bar? i keep getting hits for big outdoor monstrosities.
excellent op-ed in the times today, By Nicholas, D. Kristof:
All Ears for Tom Cruise, All Eyes on Brad Pitt
Some of us in the news media have been hounding President Bush for his shameful passivity in the face of genocide in Darfur.
More than two years have passed since the beginning of what Mr. Bush acknowledges is the first genocide of the 21st century, yet Mr. Bush barely manages to get the word “Darfur” out of his mouth. Still, it seems hypocritical of me to rage about Mr. Bush’s negligence, when my own beloved institution – the American media – has been at least as passive as Mr. Bush…
the what’s my method? method
organized by 10 song titles most often played in the last 14 days:
1. Sweet Water Kill – Rasputina
2. Water – Aesop Rock
3. Paint’s Peeling – Rilo Kiley
4. Tyrone – Erykah Badu
5. Origami – Ani Difranco
6. The New Zero – Rasputina
7. Ska Boss – The Skatalites
8. Lucy – Aesop Rock
9. Fire Door – Ani Difranco
10. Staring at the Sun – TV on the Radio
the that was so last week method
1. Nimato – Habib Loite & Bamada
2. Don’t Love You – TV on the Radio
3. What More Can I Say – DJ Danger Mouse
4. The Good That Won’t Come Out – Rilo Kiley
5. Where is My Mind – Pixies
6. Diwana – Loop Guru
7. Karma Police – Radiohead
8. The Sky Lit Up – PJ Harvey
9. Make Them Apologize – Ani Difranco
10. Father Lucifer – Tori Amos
the sampo method
1. Virus – Deltron3030
2. Saline the Salt Lake Queen – Rasputina
3. Sunshowers – MIA
4. Bucky Done Gun – MIA
5. I Turn My Camera On – Spoon
6. DJ EZinc Live at Liquid Blue
7. LCC – Autechre
8. Baby Anne Live at 931… – DJ Baby Ann
9. Global Underground 020 Live in Singapore CD 2 – Darren Emerson
10. Body Movin’ (Bass Mekanik Mix) – DJ Baby Anne
pete showed this to me last night via easily amusing.
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
in 1986 some guy and his friend stumbled around the partking lot of the capitols center outside of DC filming the antics of soon-to-be Judas Priest concert goers. let’s hope 80’s hair never makes a come back, huh?
especially funny for anyone who’s ever spent time in eastern maryland. the let’s-go-dawn-da-seashore-with-a-bucket-a-crabs-an’-a-case-a-bud accent shines though at multiple points
everything is in place. i’ll be working as a reference assistant in the Education Department’s main library this fall as well as interning at the Monroe County Public Library in the Adult Services Department doing mainly reference.
So, that will mean about 20 hours of reference work per week…w00t!
James Doohan, who played Scotty on the original Star Trek died early this morning.
How very sad.