So Mike has tagged me for the “5 things you didn’t know about me” meme. So here we go:
1. When I was little I thought that frozen cake was better than ice cream. In the summer my mom would bake a cake for me, cover it with icing, cut it into pieces and freeze it for me. That way I had frozen cake pretty much whenever I wanted. This might explain why I was such a chubby child, however well fed. :)
2. I waited tables at the two big breakfast chains during college – IHOP and Denny’s. It was here that I learned how to smile at people while simultaneously thinking horrible things about them. It’s an important life skill. I also learned how to take orders and confirm them without ever repeating their stupid market-y names like rooty-tooty-fresh and fruity or moons over my hammy. Unless I was making fun of the drunk person who was ordering them, which was also enjoyable.
3. A feminist from an early age, one Christmas my grandmother gave all of her grand-kids these little memory books where you could paste your school picture every year from kindergarten until your senior year of high school and record information about that year. Each year had an option to enter what you wanted to be when you grew and had a boy’s section which included things like “doctor” and “firefighter” and a girl’s section which included such options as “mother” or “nurse”. I flipped out and checked all the boy options every year.
4. I took dance lessons as a kid. Ballet, jazz, and tap dance. As a result I also have a slew of photos with me in ridiculous dance recital outfits. No, you can’t see them.
5. As a junior in high school I got a lead role in the spring play, called “I’m Sorry, the Bridge is Out, You’ll Have to Spend the Night.” It was a play on the young couple gets stuck at the creepy mansion over night theme. I played Dr. Victor(ia) Frankenstein. I had to sing and dance. My hair was awesome.
*Anyone remember the Austin based ska band called Gal’s Panic? This was part of their little theme song. I really liked them.